Friday 22 April 2016

The Jungle Book Review


Hello! I have been meaning to get a new blogpost up for a while (my apologies) but life has got in the way. However, better late than never eh?

From studying film and media, one thing I have learnt is that remaking a film can be one of the biggest risks a film company can take, but that hasn't stopped anyone yet, especially Disney. Over the last few years in particular, we have seen many different adaptations of beloved Disney films such as Alice in Wonderland and (the spin off to Sleeping Beauty) Maleficent. As us 90's kids are growing up, adaptations of our favourite Disney films are hitting the big screens. They are slowly but surely becoming more and more popular and I love it!

Last year, director Kenneth Branagh remade a Disney classic and despite my love for Disney I couldn't help but feel a little disappointed. My inner child cringed when Cinderella finally came face to face with her prince. Maybe I felt like this because I was no longer eight, or perhaps that Cinderella (despite it's modernised adjustment) was still just as predictable for me.

When Disney first announced they were making a live action, computer animated, fantasy adventure version (that was a mouthful) of Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book I didn't think too much of it. The original cartoon version is one of my all time favourite childhood films but after my Cinderella anti-climax I didn't want to get my hopes too high. Nonetheless, once I sat down and the film started (tango ice blast in hand) my mind set soon changed.

Casting is one of the most important elements of any film, especially in this case. The only character that isn't computer animated is the role of Mowgli; an orphaned human boy brought up by a pack of wolves in the heart of the jungle. Soon he finds himself on a journey to self-discovery, guided by a loving panther and a musical bear. Finding the right actor to play him was imperative as the entire accessibility of the film is riding on this one character.

Neel Sethi completely embodies the humour, heart and confidence of Mowgli, his very first breakout role. His natural charisma is captivating, engaging the audience from start to finish. A very talented performance from a little actor in the making! Beside Neel Sethi, Bill Murray is spot on for the character of Baloo. He too captures the humour and affection of the loveable bear. Other cast members include Ben Kingsley (Bagheera), Idris Elba (Shere Khan), Scarlett Johanson (Kaa), Christopher Walken (King Louie) and Lupita Nyong'o (Raksha).

The film itself is visually dazzling! This thrilling action sets a new standard for cgi as its new adaptations are used in a way that enhances storytelling not only for children but for adults too. The Jungle Book is mesmerising to watch; alongside every beautiful shot, John Debney's score heightens the adventure and emotion. Director Jon Favreau righly keeps the audience at the edge of their seats whilst never losing sight that he's making a story for children, capturing every inch of the films charm including a few of my favourite musical numbers.

Truthfully, looking back at my Jungle Book experiences (yes... I have been to see it more than once) the only part I didn't thoroughly enjoy was the way the end credits were presented. Although the film had left me on a high, I wanted the credits to continue this excitement, leaving me collecting my things gawping. However, now I am forgetting that this is a children's film. Perhaps I have watched Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows too many times... Why shouldn't the film end with the characters dancing around to 'I wan'na be like you'?

Maybe you will think differently, but there is one thing I can promise you. This is genuinely one of Disney's most faithful, live action adaptations yet!

Click here to view the teaser trailer for The Jungle Book. If you have already seen it, what do you think? I would love to know what you did and didn't like about Jon Favreau's adaptation.

I hope you have enjoyed this blogpost and I'll see you again soon!

Share:

14 comments

  1. Great review! I look forward to watching this film! I will probably have to wait to the DVD comes out though as I never have time to go to the cinema xx

    Thrifty vintage fashion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou x as long as you see it that's the main thing, it was brilliant!x

      Delete
  2. Just found your blog via twitter and I love it! Ahh this sounds so exciting, I'm also super happy for Moana coming out in November :D So many fab Disney things, eeeek! xx

    elizabeth ♡ ”Ice Cream” whispers Clara | (doing follow for follow on bloglovin or instagram)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw thankyou! same - there's so many good films coming out I can't wait! xx

      Delete
  3. Totally agree about the end credit! I was expecting something more, but the rest of the movie was just incredible! I loved the changes they made, like the reasoning for why he had to leave was more explained, and how his father had died, and I loved how tbey viewed the elephants! But most importantly I am SO glad they sang barenicessities and King of the swingers, I thought it would be too grown up for that, but they delivered and it was awesome! Can you tell I enjoyed it? Lol

    Http://www.makeerinover.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! I'm so happy they kept the musical numbers in and especially the elephants! Haha definitely! x

      Delete
  4. I think I'll wait till the film comes out on DVD but I've heard so many good things about this film! The CGI looks amazing and I love Idris Elba in anything!

    Musings & More

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it! And he makes a really good villain aha x

      Delete
  5. This film sounds really good, it makes me happy that there are so many Disney film adaptations these days although I agree, some of them have left me a bit disappointed. I will definitely check out this one, though! :)xx

    113-things-to-say.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to go and watch The Jungle Book, but I don't want the film to ruin this classic for me! My favourite disney film is probably Tangeled and I'm pretty sure it won't beat that!
    Aleeha xXx
    http://www.halesaaw.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I was like but it was really good! TANGLED ah I love that film x

      Delete
  7. Thanks for a great review. The jungle book was one of my favourite movies growing up, and I enjoyed this version of it too!

    I write Mademoiselle Meets Maquillage and Macaroons and I would love for you to give it a read, maybe we can follow each other on Bloglovin?

    www.mademoisellemeetsmaquillageandmacaroons.com

    Deepti xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it too! Yeah course, I'll give you a follow as soon as I get home xx

      Delete

© modedeviebel | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig