Wednesday 9 March 2016

Being Catastrophic


I've got 99 problems and 89 of them are completely made up scenarios in my head that I'm stressing out about for no logical idea.

I am an overly obsessive analytical fusspot that allows my mind to wonder into the weirdest (and most unlikeliest) situations. To say things escalate quickly is an understatement. Sometimes the scenario can be fairly ordinary, something that most people wouldn't need to think twice about.

"Hey, do you want to get tickets to see Cage the Elephant?"

Sure, that sounds like fun!

Except, I'll have to get on a train full of people... That's nothing in comparison to the crowd outside the arena, never mind inside -

- Don't be silly you used to get on trains without a problem before. Forget about the crowd and think about the band. You'll have so much fun!

I guess... But what if I don't feel well on the day? What if I get nauseous and I embarrass myself and my friends.

Stop, your friends will look after you. Besides they wouldn't invite you if they didn't want you there.

What if I lose them in the crowd. It gets hot in venues like these what if I faint? What if I get trampled? Maybe it's too much hassle than it's worth...

"I dunno... Can I let you know?"

Get the gist?

I have a tendency to be catastrophic. It's not intentional, in fact it's quite the opposite. Overthinking leads to negative thoughts, creating problems that don't even exist. That's exactly what the mind does. However, there are many ways (almost tips if you will) to help fade out those negative thoughts and overcome a problem without overthinking it.

Find a Distraction
A distraction can be almost anything you want it to be. Talking to a friend, walking the dog or perhaps even binging on your favourite tv show. Although to some this may seem as though you're avoiding the situation all together this tip can actually be extremely effective (from personal experience, depending on the situation of course). I sometimes find that the less I think about it the less of a situation it becomes. I don't get stressed and when the event eventually comes around I end up enjoying myself enormously.

Be Mindful
If you find yourself overthinking yesterdays worries or tomorrows problems, engage your full attention with every activity you undergo throughout the day. Talk yourself through every step of your day. You'll find your mind will wonder less as it's too busy focusing on the present.

Get a Different Perspective
Getting somebody else's perspective might not always go your way but it always has your best intentions at heart. Talking about a situation with someone who is not involved is very refreshing. They're not in your shoes. They will see the facts as clear as they are without other insignificant factors blinding their view. Whilst to you the situation might entail 'this, that, the other thing, oh yeah not to mention that' to them it's just 'this and that'.

Make a List of Good and Bad Things
This is the one tip I probably find the most useful. There is something so refreshing about getting it down on paper. By recognising the scribbled pros and cons out in front of you for exactly what they are is almost like seeing clearly for the first time.

Think About the Bigger Picture
Whatever situation you're worrying about, ask yourself, "Will this matter in a months time? Six months? What about a year?" If the answer is no then what is the point in overthinking it.

Sure, some of these tips might take a little practise but on the whole they could be very rewarding!

Share:

2 comments

  1. I'm such a catastrophic thinker! My mind just goes into over drive and my wild imagination makes me think of the worst case scenarios! You've got some really useful ideas here though that would be sure to help others with the same thinking styles :)xx

    Lauren | itslaurenvictoria.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lauren :) I'm glad I'm not the only one aha x

      Delete

© modedeviebel | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig